Week 1- Review
5 Positions- Video
Plié- To bend.
Demi Plié- Half bend. Heels don't leave the floor.
Grand Plié- Full bend of the knees until the thighs are parallel with the floor.
Why is it important?
- It is often the beginning and ending of most leaps and turns.
-It gives power in jumps and pirouettes.
- It helps reduce the risk of injury.
Turn Out- rotation of the leg which comes from the hips, causing the knee and foot to turn outward, away from the center of the body.
Tendu- To stretch. Keeping the foot on the floor, the dancer stretches the leg and foot out from one position to another.
Chainé- (Chain or linking) A series of turns on both feet.
Ball Change- The shifting of weight from the ball of one foot to the flat of the other; can be executed from side to side and front to back.
Pivot Turn- Movement step used to change direction; working leg steps forward assuming weight of body,
body changes direction, support leg reassumes weight of body; can be executed front to back, side to side.
Styles of Dance
Answer the following questions
1. What style of dance do you enjoy the most?
2. What did you like about that style?
3. What do you hope to get from this class?
Extra Credit- Writing Assignment (500 words)
Art, dance, drama, and music in education has been a nationally debated topic. Some people believe these topics are not necessary while other believe that these subjects are vital to well-rounded education.
Write a persuasive essay explaining whether or not art, dance, drama, and music are an important part of a student's education. Essay must include reasons and evidence for your argument.
September 5, 2018
Ballet Webquest- Download
Emotion Choreography Project (3rd Quarter)
- Pick one of the following emotions that you will make the theme of your dance.
- Joy- a feeling of great pleasure and happiness.
- Anger- having a strong feeling of or showing annoyance, displeasure, or hostility
- Sorrow- a feeling of deep distress caused by loss, disappointment, or other misfortune suffered by oneself or others.
- Fear- an unpleasant emotion caused by the belief that someone or something is dangerous, likely to cause pain, or a threat.
- Hurt- mental or physical pain or distress to (a person or their feelings).
- Excitement- a feeling of great enthusiasm and eagerness.
- Love- an intense feeling of deep affection.
- Lost- unable to find one's way; not knowing one's whereabouts.
- Relaxed- free from tension and anxiety; at ease.
2. Think/ Write/ Share: (50 points) DUE: JANUARY 9th
- The group should have chosen ONE emotion. This will be the theme of your choreography.
- To yourself write down on a sheet of paper about a time you have felt the emotion your group has chosen. (YOU WILL TURN THIS PAPER IN FOR A SUMMATIVE GRADE)
- In your groups, each person should think about and share about a time that have felt the emotion that the group has chosen. (Story or moment needs to be appropriate for sharing)
- The purpose of sharing your story is so that the teacher and the group understand the inspiration behind your choreography.
- You can change the story you would like to use at any point but you need to write and give me the new story before the final project is due.
3. Express: (100 points) DUE: MARCH 7th
- Each member of the group is required to come up with (3) 8-counts each of choreography showing their story that caused the emotion.
- Once you have come up with your choreography you will teach it to your group.
- It does not matter what order the choreography goes in but everyone’s choreography must be meshed into one dance.
- You need to select an appropriate song for your dance. You can mix songs if you would like but it needs to be edited together so that the dance can continue to flow.
- Your dance should have…
- Transitions (Moving from one formation to another)
- Levels (High, Middle, Low)
- Locomotor Movements- Movements that travel. (example: run, leap, chaine, chasse, walk)
- Non-Locomotor Movements- movements that DO NOT change location. (Piroutte, kick, turn, twist)
- You do not have to do your dance in front of the class but it must be submitted to the teacher in a video format on a USB drive or a youtube link. (Large video files will NOT fit in an email.)
- I will give extra credit to any group that would like to show their dance in person or share their video with the class.
- Your final dance will be DUE: MARCH 7th. (20 points will be taken off every day that it is late)